With the anticipation of Spring, Summer, and Fall photo shoots I want to share some tips about planning your outfits for the shoot. These photos will be displayed in your home, on your walls, and gifted to friends so you want them to be timeless. With that said……….
1. Think coordinating colors not matching. Avoid wearing all white shirts and blue jeans. Instead, pick a couple of colors and choose clothes that will fit in this color scheme.
2. Look at your home decor. Do you like bright colors? Neutrals? Since you will be hanging these photos in your house you want to make sure the colors of your clothes go with the color scheme of your home.
3. Don’t forget accessories. Accessories not only add to your outfit but they can be fun to use in photos. Adding a scarf, necklace, cute hats, belts, all add texture, fun, and personality to your photos not to mention it’s an easy way to add color or to tie colors together. These textures pretty much make the image in my opinion.
4. Limit patterns. It’s good to have outfit in the mix that has all the colors in it. However, not everyone in the photo should wear patterns as it can make the photo too busy.
5. Look for clothing collections. When shopping for kids clothes, try stores that typically have color coordinating collections. You can then purchase clothes for all the children from one store and know their clothes will coordinate.
6. Say no to characters. Yes, your little one may love their Toy Story shirt but you may want to skip it for the family photo session. Just like patterns, characters on shirts can be pretty distracting.
7. Avoid all white, all black, or all florescent colors especially hot pink . If you are wearing an all white shirt then it is very easy to blow out parts of your shirt causing it to lose its detail. Same can be said with all black, it’s easy to have clipping on black clothing and the detail is lost. The same thing happens with super bright colors and they also tend to put color casts on your face, turning your skin the color of your shirt.
8. Think classic. These photos will be hanging on your walls and treasured for years to come. By choosing simple, classic clothes you will help give your images a timeless feel.
Hopefully these small tips help. I want to make sure you are happy and comfortable with every aspect of your photo shoot experience. If you don’t have your shoot scheduled call me today.